Print Inspection for printed flexible packaging
To achieve even better results, the 100% inline inspection system PrintSTAR offers a range of innovative functions. The print inspection system detects common or challenging defects from an early stage, helps the operator to react early and decrease the lifespan of the defects.
Thanks to its superior technology, the system even detects initially invisible production errors such as hazing, defects in the cold seal or varnish. PrintSTAR is suitable for either rotogravure or flexoprinting technology.
QuickProof - Make sure to print correctly even before you start production
There are many things to consider when setting up the printing process - and there is little time. PrintSTAR's QuickProof feature helps avoid mistakes already in the make-ready phase before the production starts. It compares the Golden Master with the customer-approved reference PDF file and makes the following defects visible at an early stage:
- Wrong ink setup or plate order (ink or plate in wrong printing unit)
- Wrong printing plates/cylinders (wrong layout)
- False text or language versions
- Wrong job version
- Defective printing plates/cylinders
Real-time monitoring of the current printed image
The LiveWebView feature enables operators to monitor the print process in even greater detail thanks to precise live images. The inspected printed image is displayed on a separate monitor; users can then zoom in and out of the current image in order to take a closer look at specific areas while production is still in progress. The image size corresponds to the length of the Up and the material width.
This not only minimizes printing errors and unnecessary contamination on the roller but also assists the operator during the make-ready process. The uninterrupted insight into the press granted by LiveWebView can be used to monitor register behavior – making the costly and time-consuming process of stopping the printing press for fine-tuning a thing of the past.
Precisely define defects with ISRA‘s Advanced Defect Classification
Every inspection equipment can do defect detection. However, the crucial point of any print inspection system is robust and repeatable differentiation between relevant and non-relevant deviations. ISRA´s Defect Classification goes further than conventional systems.It allows the different defects to be classified very precisely
- by width, height
- by size
- by position
- by color.
So it is easy to build specific classifiers – or recipes - for different customers. When a recipe is set up once, it can be applied as often as any job is printed for a brand owner to ensure the delivered quality is consistently meeting the requirements.
Monitor your color
Maintaining the correct color and in line with the color values (L*A*B) is an important task during the printing process. PrintSTAR offers the ColorWatch function to keep track of this with a relative measurement. Without any additional hardware, the RGB line scan cameras can be used to detect color deviations from a reference image. DeltaE values are measured and continuously displayed. Any desired location can be measured, also solid or halftone.
Learn more about ISRA's ColorSTAR module for absolute color measurement.
Keeping everything in register
Every printer knows the pitfalls of register accuracy. PrintSTAR offers the optimal solution here. In addition to detecting typical register errors, the RegisterCheck tool can distinguish between minor - and therefore tolerable - register deviations and serious defects: Tolerable variances are automatically ignored, while larger errors are marked as defects.
Never miss a streak
The Advanced Streak Detection feature detects streaks and drags at a very early stage. This enables the operator to react immediately by locating the defect cause and removing it, thereby reducing waste. The feature even works in challenging applications like barcodes or structured areas.
Raise attention to relevant web regions
The QualityMask feature of PrintSTAR allows inspection sensitivity to be adapted according to the contents of the print. Areas of interest can be inspected with a higher sensitivity than regions with lower significance.
Two-sided foil inspection detects cold seal defects
Advanced Hazing Assistant
Hazing (also known as scumming or fogging effect) is a light and even transfer of ink in non-image areas, which is caused by a doctor blade, a cylinder, or ink. On transparent substrates, the defect is invisible to the operator and only identified downstream in the production workflow. As a result, the material showing the defect needs to be scrapped and reprinted.
Reliable inspection of varnish and lamination
The human eye performs at a high level every day. However, for some print inspection tasks, it is just overwhelmed. This is the case when inspecting protective coatings or finishing for flexible packaging due to a wide range of print finishing options. For example, optical and haptic effects can be achieved by treating the surface of the film with various coatings, print effects, and embossing.
Regardless of whether it is a simple embossing, a gloss or soft-touch effect, or incorporated silver and gold pigments, special effects must be 100% flawless to ensure the distinctive quality and value of the printed product. To ensure seamless inline print inspection with a wide range of coating and laminating techniques with simultaneous detection of defects on the front and reverse sides, the webs are as well inspected simultaneously from the top and bottom sides.
Print image to be inspected
Defects during lacquering
The system uses permanently installed image acquisition units with fast, high-resolution line scan cameras and a special, ultra-bright LED illumination. The innovative Multiview-Features of PrintSTAR ensure reliable checking of register accuracy and guarantee continuous and complete process control, which includes the print image, lamination, and coating.
Web control features & Converting
During lamination, the film must also be checked for quality defects. PrintSTAR performs the automated quality control here and checks the print image for wrinkles, inclusions, or bubbles caused by lamination.
One of the last process steps in converting is rewinding the films onto other rolls. The RewindManager feature of PrintSTAR automates the removal of waste in the finishing department. By interfacing with a synchronized database, the user can select which defects need to be removed.
This enables the producer to maximize value in a production roll. Completing the production process, also the final steps are monitored. The PrintTrack feature monitors the web for tretching.
It warns the operator when a threshold is exceeded and conveniently displays this in a trend graph. The lane position is monitored so that the knife positions can be adjusted for the slitting process, leading to a reduction of waste and higher quality. For companies that produce or convert both unprinted and printed films, ISRA VISION's DualSTAR inspection system is an alternative solution that can inspect both types of material with the same system.
Learn more about dual inspection of printed and unprinted film.
- 100% print inspection in full coverage, anywhere and any time
- Classification allows for detecting only relevant defects
- Detection of sporadic and/or repeating print defects, which helps your operator to react fast
- Higher sustainable production process as waste production can be avoided from an early start
- Inspection width: from 600 mm up to 2500 mm; others on request
- Digital Assistance to extend the inspection capabilities of the basic setup: for PDF verification, web viewing, inline color measurement for shortened make-ready
- Continuous front-to-back registration – just one roll-map for all of your applications
- Analyze your production process with our data mining software EPROMI to make the correct decisions
- 100 % inspection of printed material (film, paper, foil)
- Flexible packaging printing
- Personal care & hygienic film printing
- Aluminium packaging for pharma, food & pet food
- Narrow Web
- Liquid packaging
- Security printing
- BankSTAR: For security printing applications, the ISRA VISION BankSTAR system is your inspection solution of choice. Learn more about the inspection of security printing and substrates.
- ColorSTAR: Continuously monitor color accuracy of printed products with ISRA VISION's ColorSTAR. Avoid costly misprints!
- DualSTAR: The inspection system inspects printed and unprinted plastic film in one system. Ensure the highest print quality and increase your productivity!
- SMASH: For inspecting unprinted film, ISRA VISION offers the SMASH inspection system. Read more about the inspection of unprinted film.
- ViewSTAR: To monitor the production with more detail, ISRA VISION offers the ViewSTAR system as a web viewer, which can be synchronized with PrintSTAR. Learn more about webviewing with precise image display.
Get in touch if you have any questions. We would be happy to advise you.